Dementia causes issues with memory, thinking, and reasoning. The problem happens when the brain used for memory, decision making, learning, and language are diseases or damaged. This is also referred to as major neurocognitive disorder. It is not a disease but is actually a symptom caused by different conditions.
The most common cause of dementia is Alzheimer’s disease. Around 60 to 80 percent of people diagnosed with dementia are facing Alzheimer’s disease. However, around 50% of the cases are the reason for dementia. With dementia treatment, the symptoms can improve. But many of its causes are not curable.
Some of the causes of dementia are mentioned below:
- Infection in the central nervous system. It includes HIV, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, and meningitis.
- Long-term use of alcohol and drugs.
- A degenerative neurological disease which includes Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and some types of multiple sclerosis. With time, these conditions can get worse.
- Fluid buildup in the brain known as hydrocephalus.
- Traumatic brain injury due to fall, concussion, or accident.
At Manas hospital, we give your patient’s individualized and compassionate care while they are undergoing dementia therapy .
Types of Dementia
Dementia problem is categorized into 2 types which are based on part of the brain getting affected.
Cortical dementias problems occur in the cerebral cortex, the brain outer layer. They play a vital role in memory and language. People with this type of face memory loss and cannot understand language or remember words. The 2 main forms of cortical dementia are Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and Alzheimer’s
Subcortical dementias problems in the parts of the brain beneath the cortex. People with this type tend to show changes in their thinking speed and ability to start activities. With this type, the patient does not have a problem with language or remembering the words. Its main types are Huntington’s disease, HIV, and Parkinson’s disease. Some of its types affect both parts of the brain.
Dementia problems go through different stages which can be different according to the brain part affected.
1) No impairment People at this stage do not have any symptoms but tests can help to detect problems.
2) Very mild decline There is a slight change in behavior at this stage.
3) Mild declineThe person thinking and reasoning part is changed. The person is having problems making plans and they repeat different things. Moreover, they are not able to remember what happened recently.
4) Moderate decline To make a plan the person faces a lot of difficulty making plans, handling money, and traveling.
5) Moderately severe decline The person is not to remember his mobile number or grandchild name. Moreover, they are confused about the day of the week or time of day. At this stage, the person needs assistance to carry out daily activities like picking out clothes to wear.
6) Severe decline In this case, the person forgets the name of his or her partner. They need help to eat and go to the washroom. He’ll begin to forget the name of his spouse. He’ll need help going to the restroom and eating. The person’s emotions and personality also change.
7) Very severe decline The person is not able to speak and can’t even walk. Most of their time is spent in bed.
Most types of dementia take time to progress. In some cases, the problem stays for 10 years or more and might increase with time. But with careful planning as suggested by the doctor can help to reduce the symptoms. The Manas hospital care team will discuss the treatment and by keeping in mind the symptoms, stage, and type the treatment will be given.
Dementia cannot be cured by any treatment but symptoms can be controlled so that a person can live a better life. The medication is given by understanding the cause which triggered the symptoms and this is done by talking treatment. If the case is very severe then the medications are given right away.
If the person is at an early stage, some of the symptoms which can be improved are:
- Underlying medical conditions or pain.
- Eyesight issues like cataracts. This condition can lead to increased vulnerability and hallucinations.
- Hearing problem.
Talking treatment can stop the need for medication. Dementia often results in anxiety and depression in the early stages. This psychotherapy or counseling can help to treat the symptoms.
This is the best kind of work that involves trained doctors working with a number of patients to stimulate and exercise memories. By following a number of sessions can help the person to stay independent for a long time and have better control over the senses.
Healthy lifestyle By following a healthy lifestyle and taking part in exercise can help the person to reduce the depression and anxiety level. For best treatment care, visit Manas Hospital as the entire team is specialized and trained to give the best care.