Treat Your Substance Use Disorder And Addiction With A Psychiatrist
Substances Use Disorder
Substance Use Disorder (SUD) is one of the most complex conditions in which you will have an uncontrollable urge to take substances despite having harmful consequences. People who are suffering from SUD have an extreme focus on using particular substances including tobacco, alcohol, or even illicit drugs. It comes to a certain point, where the person finds it very difficult to function in their day-to-day activities like normal. However, they still manage to continue doing the substances even when they realize it is causing them more harm than good. In most circumstances, the Psychiatrists in Ludhiana also call SUDs addictions.
People who have substance use disorder might also have distorted behaviours and thinking. There are a lot of changes in the brain’s structure and also its function. This is what causes most people to have an extreme cravings, abnormal movements, changes in personality, and other behaviours. Apart from that, many studies have shown some changes in the areas of the brain that are associated with decision making, judgment, memory, learning and behavioural control with the help of brain imaging.
Reasons Why People Take Drugs
According to research, we have found that there are various reasons for people to take drugs pretty regularly. Some of the common reasons include:
- To make yourself feel good. It causes a feeling of pleasure such as “high” or “Intoxication”.
- In order to make yourself feel better. It helps them relieve stress, forget many problems and even feel numb.
- In order to do better in life. It helps them to improve their performance or cognitive thinking.
- Because of curiosity, experimenting or peer pressure.
Apart from substances, people can also have an addiction to behaviours. Some of those behaviours include gambling disorders.
What Are The Symptoms Of Substance Use Disorder?
Technically the DeAddiction Centre In Ludhiana categorises the signs of Substance Use Disorder into four groups.
- Impaired control
It is a craving or a strange urge to use substances. Basically a failed attempt or a desire to cut down or control substance use.
- Social problems
With substance use disorder, you will notice a failure in completing any major task at school, work or home. You give up or cut back on your social, leisure or work activities because of severe substance use.
- Risky use
People use substances in risky settings, and continue to use them even when they know that it might cause several problems.
- Drug effects
People have a tolerance for extreme substances used. They need a large number of drugs to get the same effect. They also have withdrowal symptoms which are different for each substance.
What Are The Effective Principle For Substance Use Disorder Treatments?
- Addiction is a complex issue but you can treat it easily. It is a disease that affects brain function and behaviour.
- There is no single treatment that is appropriate for all.
- The doctors need to make the treatment readily available.
- With effective treatment, the doctor would be able to meet various needs of an individual and not substance use disorder.
- It is necessary to have a treatment for an adequate amount of time.