What is Psychiatry? What is the role of psychiatry in treating addiction?
What Is Psychiatry?
Psychiatry is a medical field with skilled and able health experts to diagnose, evaluate, and treat mental illness. During the treatment, different health practitioners provide you the treatment approach like psychologists, radiologists, nurses, epidemiologists, and psychiatrist in Ludhiana. Their assistance and experience are what improves your condition as they customize the treatment by analyzing every aspect of your health.
Reviewing patient history
The first step towards a customized treatment approach is to check the patient’s mental status and history. The doctor will perform physical assessments and might even perform a brain scan to check the extent of the brain problem. The treatment includes the following:
- Talk therapy session
- Psychiatric medication
By doing so, it helps to determine the root cause of the addiction. Also, the treatment depends on how much the patient’s functional and physical health is impacted.
What is the role of psychiatry in addiction?
Through addiction psychiatry, a patient’s mental health determines what has led to substance abuse. Psychiatrists will also look at their health so that they can determine the right kind of treatment approach for them. The addiction treatment through psychiatry helps in targeting the disorders linked to substance abuse and mental health.
- For mental health, counseling and medications are included.
- For Substance abuse, behavioral therapy and detoxification are included.
Through psychiatry, the patients are benefited who have tried to stop the substance abuse but they failed in their attempt.
The patient treatment approach starts with detoxification. Addiction impacts the brain and it makes the patient think that they are dependent on substance abuse. Consulting the mental health expert on time will help you to be at ease and the withdrawal process will go smoothly.
The doctor will teach you that the body does not need alcohol or drugs. Psychotherapy and withdrawal symptoms will be hard to deal with and it is possible that the treatment does not work. Getting treatment from psychiatrists will address your physical and psychological-related issues.
Psychiatric Medication to Treat Addiction
Getting psychiatric medication addresses the mental illness with ease. The root cause of substance and drug abuse.
- The antidepressants like phenelzine, citalopram, and fluoxetine, will help to treat anxiety and depression which helps the individual to be calm.
- Psychosis is treated through antipsychotics such as thioridazine, clozapine, and haloperidol. These drugs are also termed tranquilizers.
- Stimulants are known for increasing attention, endurance, and arousal. It includes dexmethylphenidate, and methylphenidate & these might be addictive. The patient’s condition must be monitored daily to understand whether they are responding to the treatment or not.
- One additional type of psychiatric medications include lamotrigine, lithium, and carbamazepine. Benzodiazepines are amnesics, hypnotics, anticonvulsants, and it includes temazepam and diazepam.