Who is an addiction psychiatrist and what type of treatment do they provide?
What is an addiction psychiatrist?
The deaddiction psychiatrist specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of substance abuse and mental health conditions. The psychiatrist in Ludhiana helps to treat people of all ages who have addictions to alcohol, illegal drugs, and prescription medications which complicate the mental health issues such as depression, schizophrenia, or bipolar disorder. The addiction psychiatrist helps to treat:
- The patient’s medical history is evaluated and checked for mental health status.
- Psychiatric diseases are diagnosed and include conditions like bipolar disorder, substance addiction, depression, bipolar disorder, dementia, sleep disorder, eating disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Assessing the person’s ability to check everyday activities such as dressing, driving, and eating.
- Imaging tests and laboratory tests are performed.
- Provide treatment for comprehensive substance abuse and giving addiction therapy such as talk therapy. With different counseling sessions, it helps the doctor to understand what is your problem and give you the treatment accordingly.
- Giving medications, and checking the side effects.
Who should consult an addiction psychiatrist?
People who consult the addiction psychiatrist are referred by the psychologist, addiction therapist, primary care doctor, and general psychiatrist.
Substance abuse can affect physical and mental health.
Why do you need to consult an addiction psychiatrist?
- Feelings of needing to take the substance regularly and frequently
- Irritability or anxiety when the substance is not present.
- Inability to stop taking the substance
- Hiding the substance abuse from people who care about you
- Exhibiting negative behaviors, such as lying or stealing
- Losing interest in activities such as working, spending time with family, and participating in hobbies you used to like.
- Spending excessive amounts of money on alcohol, prescription drugs, or street drugs
- Participating in risky behaviors, such as engaging with multiple sexual partners and driving not while conscious.
Which conditions can be treated by an addiction psychiatrist?
An addiction psychiatrist treats the following disorders, diseases, and conditions:
- Anxiety disorders which include generalized anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, phobias, panic disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Dementia including language, loss of memory, and personality
- Eating disorders including anorexia and bulimia
- Impulse control disorders including kleptomania
- Personality disorders including antisocial personality disorder
- Mood disorders including depression and bipolar disorder
- Psychotic disorders including schizophrenia and delusional disorder
- Sleep disorders which include insomnia and night terrors
- Substance addictions including alcoholism, prescription medication abuse, alcohol abuse, and illegal drug abuse.
What tests are performed by addiction psychiatrists?
With the addiction psychiatrist, you can perform and order different diagnostic and screening tests to diagnose chronic and acute mental health issues in patients with substance disorders. Some of the tests include:
- Imaging tests including X-rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and computed tomography (CT) to check for brain abnormalities
- IQ and related tests to check the thinking process of the patients (cognitive function)
- Laboratory tests which include blood tests to monitor medication levels, complete blood count (CBC), liver function tests, kidney function tests, urine tests, blood glucose (sugar) test, and drug testing.
- Testing for specific psychiatric disorders including psychotic, mood, anxiety, and personality disorders.